Newcastle 0 – 0 Leicester
Newcastle secured a spot in subsequent season’s Champions League for the primary time since 2003 with a 0-0 draw towards Leicester, who had only one shot and are getting ready to relegation.
Eddie Howe’s facet assured their top-four spot with a dominant show to go away the guests, two factors from security, needing to win on the ultimate day of the season at house to West Ham whereas hoping Everton lose to Bournemouth and Leeds do not overturn a nine-goal swing by beating Tottenham to remain up.
Newcastle managed the match but had been annoyed by a mixture of Leicester’s defending and the woodwork which they rattled thrice on their option to chalking up 23 photographs and an xG of two.05 though had been lucky Bruno Guimaraes wasn’t dismissed early on for a reckless problem.
Leicester solely managed one effort that got here within the 92nd minute when Nick Pope sharply saved from Timothy Castagne’s volley to disclaim them an important smash-and-grab victory and go away their survival destiny out of their fingers.
Newcastle: Pope (7), Trippier (8), Schar (7), Botman (7), Burn (7), Anderson (7), Guimaraes (7), Longstaff (7), Almiron (7), Wilson (6), Isak (7).
Subs: Gordon (n/a), Saint-Maximin (6), Murphy (6).
Leicester: Iversen (8), Thomas (7), Souttar (8), Faes (7), Evans (7), Castagne (7), Ndidi (7), Soumare (6), Tielemans (6), Vardy (5), Iheanacho (5).
Subs: Barnes (6), Daka (6), Mendy (n/a), Maddison (6).
Participant of the Match: Harry Souttar.
How Leicester survived the Newcastle onslaught
Dean Smith opted to vary Leicester’s formation to play with three on the again, notably dropping James Maddison and Harvey Barnes, in a bid to maintain their first clear sheet in 22 league matches.
Newcastle recorded 14 photographs within the opening interval whereas Leicester barely ventured out of their half, having only one contact within the opposition field.
The guests, although, felt Guimaraes ought to have been despatched off in solely the ninth minute when the studs of the midfielder’s proper boot caught the knee of Boubakary Soumare with a yellow card proven and the VAR deciding no additional punishment was vital.
- Newcastle made one change from their 4-1 win over Brighton as Sean Longstaff got here in for the injured Joe Willock. Joelinton picked up an damage within the warm-up and was changed by Elliot Anderson.
- James Maddison and Harvey Barnes had been each benched as Leicester made three modifications. Ricardo Pereira additionally made manner as Kelechi Iheanacho, Harry Souttar and Luke Thomas got here in.
Newcastle’s finest probabilities got here late within the opening interval as Callum Wilson hooked an effort towards a publish earlier than seeing his header from the re-bound cleared off the road by Wilfred Ndidi.
Miguel Almiron volleyed towards the woodwork two minutes later after which Wilson noticed one other headed effort go off-target with the objective gaping at a nook.
Smith turned to Maddison on the break however the fixed Newcastle assaults continued with Iversen pushing over Isak’s first-time effort from the sting of the field.
Leicester held on for over an hour earlier than altering form to a again 4 when Patson Daka and Harvey Barnes got here on for Jonny Evans and Jamie Vardy but it nonetheless did nothing to halt the hosts. Guimaraes managed to hit a publish from a yard at a nook earlier than Iversen saved together with his legs from Sean Longstaff.
Leicester lastly began to string some passes collectively late on earlier than Castagne linked with Maddison’s cross, forcing Pope right into a diving save.
Fantasy Premier League stats
Newcastle vs Leicester FPL stats
|Bonus factors||Trippier (3pts), Iversen, Burn, Botman (2pts)|
Play Fantasy Premier League and see more stats here
The ultimate day of the Premier League season is on Could 28 with each sport kicking off at 4.30pm. Free match highlights shall be printed throughout Sky Sports activities’ digital platforms shortly after full-time.
Newcastle go to Chelsea on the ultimate day of their season whereas Leicester host West Ham.
Opta stats: Newcastle proceed woodwork woes
- Newcastle have performed out seven goalless attracts within the Premier League this season, greater than some other facet and their highest complete in a single Premier League marketing campaign.
- Newcastle have hit the woodwork 25 occasions within the Premier League this season (together with thrice on this sport), six occasions greater than some other facet.
- Leicester waited till the 92rd minute to muster their first shot of the sport, the most recent any facet has needed to look ahead to an effort in a Premier League sport this season.
- Newcastle United registered their first clear sheet in 10 Premier League video games and solely their second shut-out of their final 17, after stringing six clear sheets in a row collectively straight earlier than this.