The highway to Germany and Euro 2024 continues in September. Here is the state of play…
The Euro 2024 qualifying teams
Group A: Spain, Scotland, Norway, Georgia, Cyprus.
Group B: Netherlands, France, Republic of Eire, Greece, Gibraltar.
Group C: Italy, England, Ukraine, North Macedonia, Malta.
Group D: Croatia, Wales, Armenia, Turkey, Latvia.
Group E: Poland, Czech Republic, Albania, Faroe Islands, Moldova.
Group F: Belgium, Austria, Sweden, Azerbaijan, Estonia.
Group G: Hungary, Serbia, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Lithuania.
Group H: Denmark, Finland, Slovenia, Kazakhstan, Northern Eire, San Marino.
Group I: Switzerland, Israel, Romania, Kosovo, Belarus, Andorra.
Group J: Portugal, Bosnia, Iceland, Luxembourg, Slovakia, Liechtenstein.
England’s Euro 2024 qualifying outcomes & fixtures
- Italy 1-2 England – March 23, 2023
- England 2-0 Ukraine – March 26, 2023
- Malta 0-4 England – June 16, 2023
- England 7-0 North Macedonia – June 19, 2023
- Ukraine vs England – September 9, 2023, 5pm KO
- England vs Italy – October 17, 2023, 7.45pm KO
- England vs Malta – November 17, 2023 7.45pm KO
- North Macedonia vs England – November 20, 2023, 7.45pm KO
State of play
Scotland moved a step nearer to reserving their spot at Euro 2024 as they maintained their excellent report in qualifying with a 2-0 win over Georgia in June.
They now go to bottom-of-the-table Cyprus seeking to cement their place on the prime of Group A.
Cyprus vs Scotland stats
- Cyprus have misplaced all eight of their internationals towards Scotland, scoring six occasions and conceding 27 throughout these defeats, transport at the very least two objectives in each recreation.
- Scotland have received seven main match qualifying matches towards Cyprus (4 World Cup, three Euros), solely profitable extra towards the Faroe Islands and San Marino (8).
- Cyprus have misplaced their final six European Championship qualifiers since a 2-1 win towards Kazakhstan in 2019. It’s their longest shedding run in Euro qualifiers since shedding 12 in a row between 1987 and 1994.
France boast a 100 per cent report after 4 video games whereas the Netherlands can’t afford to drop factors towards second-placed Greece after they meet this week.
The Republic of Eire make the dauting journey to face Les Bleus on the Parc des Princes earlier than internet hosting the Netherlands three days later. Two defeats might spell the top to their hopes of qualifying for subsequent summer time’s match.
France vs Republic of Eire stats
- France are unbeaten of their final eight matches towards the Republic of Eire (W5 D3) since shedding 3-2 in a World Cup qualifier in October 1981.
- Republic of Eire are winless of their final seven away video games towards France (D3 L4) since a 2-0 win in a pleasant in Could 1937 (as FAI) with objectives from Jackie Brown and Davy Jordan.
- France have misplaced simply one in all their final 23 European Championship qualifying matches (W18 D4), a 2-0 away defeat at Turkey in June 2019. Their final house defeat was towards Belarus in September 2010, profitable 9 and drawing two on house soil since.
England face Ukraine on the Stadion Miejski in Wroclaw, Poland, on Saturday seeking to lengthen their excellent report to 5 wins from 5 matches.
Qualification for subsequent summer time’s match would already seem a formality for Gareth Southgate’s males since beating Italy on the opening night time, however victory over second-placed Ukraine would see the Three Lions go 9 factors clear on the prime of Group C.
Ukraine vs England stats
- Ukraine have received simply one in all their 9 video games towards England (D2 L6), profitable 1-0 in a World Cup qualifying match in October 2009.
- England have stored six clear sheets of their 9 conferences with the Ukraine, together with every of their final three since a 1-1 attract September 2012.
- Ukraine have received their final two matches, beating North Macedonia and Malta in June. They final received three video games in a row in October and November 2019.
Wales‘ shock 4-2 house loss by Armenia in June has dented their hopes – having drawn in Croatia and overwhelmed Latvia in March.
They then misplaced 2-0 away in Turkey and wish a very good consequence away towards bottom-of-the desk Latvia this week after the pleasant towards South Korea on Thursday in Cardiff.
Group E is broad open with the Czech Republic main the way in which however solely six factors separate themselves and the Faroe Islands on the foot of the desk. The Czechs can strengthen their grip on prime spot with victory over Albania on Thursday.
It already seems to be a two-way tussle for prime spot between Austria and Belgium in Group F with Sweden needing nothing lower than three factors after they go to Estonia on Saturday.
Belgium will probably be seeking to wrestle management of the group with victories towards Azerbaijan and Estonia over the following fortnight.
Serbia and Hungary are each locked on seven factors and face one another in Belgrade on Thursday. Montenegro can enter the equation with victory in Lithuania on the identical night time.
It is a ferociously open six-nation group. Two factors separate Finland in prime spot and Slovenia in fourth. Kazakhstan have the identical variety of factors because the Finns in second place.
Denmark in third have the fortune of going through whipping boys San Marino at house however fifth-placed Northern Eire have to realistically win in Slovenia to make a late sprint for a play-off spot. Even then, nevertheless, we might solely be on the midway level of this marathon group qualifying marketing campaign.
Slovenia vs Northern Eire stats
- Slovenia are winless of their final 4 video games towards Northern Eire (D1 L3) since beating them 2-0 in a house World Cup qualifier in October 2008.
- Northern Eire’s final away recreation towards Slovenia was in September 2010 in a European Championship qualifier, profitable 1-0 with a purpose from Corry Evans.
- Slovenia have solely misplaced one in all their final 10 house European Championship qualifiers (W5 D4, together with play-offs), shedding 1-0 to Austria in October 2019.
There’s better readability to Group I with Switzerland main Romania by two factors as the one remaining nations unbeaten. Each play Kosovo over the following week whereas Israel might leapfrog Romania with victory in Bucharest on Saturday.
Portugal are nearly assured of a spot at Euro 2024 after taking most factors to this point. Slovakia will hope to burst their bubble with victory in Bratislava when the 2 nations meet on Friday.
Darkish horses Luxembourg have taken seven factors from their opening 4 matches and host Iceland on the identical night.
What each nation must do to qualify
The highest two international locations from every qualifying group – seven of which embrace simply 5 international locations – will qualify.
Scotland have been grouped with Spain and Norway whereas Wales will face Croatia.
However the Republic of Eire seemingly face a troublesome problem after being drawn with Netherlands and France.
Two groups from every of the three teams with six international locations can even qualify for Euro 2024.
Northern Eire, additionally in a six-country group, will play Denmark, Finland and Slovenia.
Germany, as hosts, have certified robotically for the match whereas three international locations will qualify from the play-offs.
The qualifiers will conclude subsequent November.
Who qualifies for Euro 2024?
Two groups – the group winners and runners-up – will qualify robotically from every of the ten teams.
Three groups will then qualify by way of the play-offs.
Germany, as hosts, are the one nation at present sure to be one of many 24 nations in motion at subsequent summer time’s match.
What are the important thing Euro 2024 dates?
The primary spherical of qualifiers takes place between March 23-25 2023, whereas the ultimate matches are on November 19-21 2023.
Nonetheless, the 4 Nations League finalists is not going to be in motion on both matchday three or 4 as they are going to be competing within the finals of that match.
What concerning the play-offs?
Every nation that received their Nations League group make it robotically into the play-offs, except they progress to the match itself by ending within the prime two of their qualifying group.
In that scenario, the following finest nation within the respective league will take their play-off place, with this determined by the next standards: place within the group, factors and purpose distinction.
The draw for the play-offs takes place in November 2023, with the play-off semi-finals and finals being performed between March 21 and 26, 2024.
When is the match?
The ultimate match draw will happen in December 2023 on the Elbphilharmonie in Hamburg.
The groups will probably be seeded in accordance with the general European Qualifiers rankings. Germany will probably be robotically seeded into pot 1 as hosts, and positioned in place A1.
The three play-off winners is not going to be identified on the time of the draw however will probably be positioned into pot 4 for the draw.
The opening recreation of Euro 2024 is June 14 with the ultimate happening on July 14 on the Olympiastadion, Berlin.
Who’re the Euro 2024 hosts?
Germany, the staff of the EURO 2024 host affiliation, qualify robotically for the ultimate match and due to this fact didn’t participate within the qualifying draw.