Benadryl TikTok ‘problem’: A 13-year-old died in Ohio after taking part


A 13-year-old in Ohio has died after “he took a bunch of Benadryl,” attempting a harmful TikTok problem that’s circulating on-line, in keeping with a CNN affiliate and a GoFundMe account from his household.

Jacob Stevens was taking part in a TikTok problem with some buddies at house when he ingested the antihistamine, the household donation account states. Jacob was on a ventilator for nearly every week earlier than he died, according to WSYX.

CNN has not independently confirmed his reason behind demise.

Overdosing on Benadryl may end up in “critical coronary heart issues, seizures, coma, and even demise,” the US Meals and Drug Administration stated in a 2020 warning to the general public in regards to the lethal “Benadryl Problem” on TikTok.

CNN takes over a 14-year-old’s TikTok account. 17 minutes in, that is what we noticed

Jacob’s grandmother is doing something she will “to verify one other baby doesn’t undergo” with the problem, she advised CNN affiliate WSYX.

In an announcement to CNN, TikTok stated, “Our deepest sympathies exit to the household. At TikTok, we strictly prohibit and take away content material that promotes harmful habits with the security of our neighborhood as a precedence. Now we have by no means seen any such content material pattern on our platform and have blocked searches for years to assist discourage copycat habits. Our group of 40,000 security professionals works to take away violations of our Community Guidelines and we encourage our neighborhood to report any content material or accounts they’re involved about.”

The maker of Benadryl, Johnson & Johnson, has referred to as the problem “harmful.”

“We perceive that customers might have heard about an internet ‘problem’ involving the misuse or abuse of diphenhydramine,” the undated online statement reads.

“The problem, which entails ingestion of extreme portions of diphenhydramine, is a harmful pattern and must be stopped instantly. BENADRYL® merchandise and different diphenhydramine merchandise ought to solely be used as directed by the label.”

“We’re working with TikTok and different social platforms to take away content material that showcases this habits,” the assertion added. “We’ll look to companion throughout business and with key stakeholders to deal with this harmful habits.”

CNN has reached out to the Stevens household and Columbus Public Well being for remark.

The FDA’s 2020 warning stated the company had “contacted TikTok and strongly urged them to take away the movies from their platform and to be vigilant to take away further movies that could be posted.”

Benadryl is an antihistamine used to deal with signs akin to a runny nostril or sneezing from higher respiratory allergy symptoms, hay fever or the widespread chilly. It’s protected and efficient when used as really useful, the FDA stated.

“Diphenhydramine is marketed beneath the brand-name Benadryl, retailer manufacturers, and generics. Additionally it is accessible together with ache relievers, fever reducers, and decongestants,” the company stated.

Customers and fogeys ought to retailer Benadryl and different over-the-counter medicines and prescription medicines out of the attain of kids, the FDA stated.

Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button